Develop Good Reading Habits
The act of reading involves a full understanding of the context of the written text. It requires the use of memory and logic to grasp the true meaning behind the words. So, when you develop good reading habits, it not only betters your reading skills but also shapes you into a better person.
If there is anything common between all the successful people in the world, it is that they are all prolific readers. Warren Buffet, one of the most successful investors of all time, is a self-proclaimed reading addict. He was once asked about the key to success and he pointed to a stack of books nearby and said, “Read 500 pages like this every day. That’s how knowledge works. It builds up like compound interest. Each one of you can do it, but I am sure not many of you would do it.”
Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft, reads about 50 books every year, i.e. a book every week. “Whether I am at the office, at home, or on the road, I always have a stack of books I am looking forward to read,” this is what he said when asked about his reading habits.
Given below are the traits that you can acquire by developing good reading habits and, believe it or not, they will help you be successful in life.
- Reading increases focus: As a reader, you will have to devote your full attention to understand the book’s context.
- It gives you a perspective: Teaches you to view things from different angles and point of views.
- Gives you incredible reading and writing skills: All the successful orators in our history have been enthusiastic readers.
- Increases your problem-solving ability: Readers are better problem solvers. One must have this skill to achieve success.
- Reading helps you develop commitment: Reading is an extensive process as it may take you days or even weeks to finish a book.
- A good reader can interact with others in a far better way because reading widens your point of view.
To develop these skills, you must be selective in your reading choices. You must aim at gaining knowledge over being entertained. Developing good reading habits will broaden your vision, pour rich thoughts in your mind and bring out the best out of you.
To achieve success, you must be striving to gain knowledge to improve yourself and others around you, and books are a gateway to learning and knowledge.